Digital Asset Management
The centralized solution to manage and distribute digital content
Digital asset management operates at the heart of your marketing ecosystem. A single source of truth for all your digital assets, DAM ensures maximum value from your digital assets and 100% brand consistency.Book a demo Free 30-day trial
What can DAM do for you?
Organize and find your files easily
A one-stop-shop for managing your digital assets. Organize and find what you need in an instant with an intuitive filter structure that is tailored to your business’ exact needs.
Control access and usage rights
Safeguard your brand reputation. Access and usage permissions provide peace of mind that users only see assets relevant to them, eliminating the risk of unapproved content being published.
Bynder had the main things we were looking for - a searchable database so people could find what they were looking for and permissions and expiration features that provided protection and tracking for our assets.
Share files internally and externally
Securely share content direct from your DAM system—both internally and externally. Control asset usage after it’s shared with the ability to set expiration dates and track sharing history.
Download files in your desired format
Ensure content consistency across all digital touchpoints. Download assets in channel-specific, prefixed formats with the option to crop and edit, so you can get content out quickly and consistently.
The centerpiece in your martech landscape
Create a seamless, interconnected digital ecosystem by automating the distribution of content to key customer endpoints—such as your website—without having to do it manually.
doneConfigurable to your needs
doneSafeguard high-value assets
doneIn-house experts for every use case
The definitive guide to digital asset management
Discover the key features, benefits, and use cases of DAM.Read our guide to DAMchevron_right
DAM comparison guide
DAM comes in all shapes and sizes. See what’s right for you.Read the guidechevron_right
DAM requirements checklist
Use our checklist to compare DAM solutions against functional requirements.Download it nowchevron_right
How to select a DAM
Select the right DAM software for your brand in four steps.Read morechevron_right
Bynder feature overview
Learn about all the product features of Bynder.Download nowchevron_right
Want a tour of Bynder?
Book a demo with an expert today.Book a demo
More products and add-ons
We provide tailored solutions to fit the needs of each and every brand. Our add-on modules offer features and functionality to complement Bynder’s core digital asset management solution, which you can learn more about below.
Collaborate more efficiently during the creative processLearn morekeyboard_arrow_right
Video Brand Studio New
Scale and automate your video creation effortsLearn morekeyboard_arrow_right
Print Brand Templates
Create, edit, and repurpose print-ready templatesLearn morekeyboard_arrow_right
What is digital asset management?
Digital asset management (DAM) is a system which provides a central space for organizations to store, organize, find, access, and share digital content. Quick to deploy and easy-to-use, a centralized digital library provides peers, employees, clients, contractors, and other relevant key stakeholders controlled access to digital assets—including images, photos, creative files, video, audio, presentations, documents, and more.
The term digital asset management actually covers a large array of software solutions; from an individual’s digital file library or a photographer’s photo database to solutions that resemble enterprise content management. The most effective digital asset management software has core capabilities surrounding cloud-based storage, configurable file structures for quick findability, secure file-sharing capabilities, and features to support brand management. DAM enables creative workflow automation, archival and backups, usage tracking, e-commerce, and more. To further your knowledge about DAM, download our complimentary whitepaper: “Digital asset management comparison guide”.
What are the benefits of digital asset management software?
Cloud-based digital asset management software provides anytime, anywhere access to all of your digital content. Provide simple and secure 24/7 access to all of your business-critical files from any web device—whether you’re at your desk, working from home, or at a coffee shop halfway around the world.
Businesses are more mobile today than ever before. Online DAM provides exactly what you need to easily manage, access, share, and track all of your digital assets. Major benefits of cloud-based DAM include simple and smooth implementation, high user adoption, seamless integrations, and intuitive user experience. Fast implementation frees up your IT resources and allows you to get up and running right away. Enjoy a user-friendly interface that anyone in your organization can understand. Cloud DAM is easy to use—powered directly from your web browser.
What does digital asset management actually do?
Anytime, anywhere file sharing & access
Digital asset management makes file sharing and accessibility simple. Securely share files without needing to send files with risky email attachments, FTP, CDs and shared servers. Easily configure different levels of permissions and ensure the right people have access to the right files.
Simple & straightforward organization
Keep all of your important digital content secure and centralized in one place. Simply organize your assets in a way that makes sense to your team, so everyone knows how to find what they need, when they need it.
Create, collaborate and share company content from one place
DAM provides a central hub for your team to manage content from ideation to publication. You can review, assign, and approve digital assets without the stress. By getting everyone on the same page, there are less miscommunications and everyone knows exactly what they need to work on and its status.
That way, you’re always delivering content that is consistent and on-brand. You don’t need to leave the portal either; simply share your files within your team and to external parties directly from the DAM.
Find files fast
Powerful search options help you locate the files you need quickly. Specify file type and use image filters or in-document search to narrow your results. Metadata management provides the ability to add keywords to assets and even customize and enforce a controlled vocabulary. Keyword consistency greatly improves search within your DAM system.
Rich media asset management
Designed for rich media, DAM software is equipped with features to support image, audio and video management. See large previews of your creative image files and videos and use standard presets or customize your own to batch convert images or video files.
Manage your brand the right way
Digital asset management systems have robust features to ensure effective brand management. Manage a branded web portal for users and key stakeholders to access the files they need. Create a custom page with corporate brand guidelines and enable click-on agreements to ensure users follow these terms.
Digital publishing & distribution
Digital publishing tools in DAM keep all your assets in one location but allow you to push them to social channels, web content management systems, marketing automation solutions, third-party distribution services and more.
Frequently asked questions about digital asset management and DAM software
What is the definition of a digital asset?
Digital assets are any form of a digital file. Common digital assets include images, documents, photos, presentations and videos. Digital asset management software is primarily used by enterprise marketing and creative teams, so it is necessary for DAM software to accommodate a broad spectrum of creative files.
Artists and designers often use DAM for different image file formats including faster images created from image-editing software like Adobe Photoshop or vector graphics created in Adobe Illustrator. Even photographers can store Camera RAW files in a DAM. Even though DAM is tailored toward creative workflows, document management and video management are an indispensable aspect of DAM. Marketing teams often implement a DAM system, but businesses can utilize DAM across all departments.
Who needs a digital asset management system?
Anyone looking to optimize current digital asset workflows needs a DAM system. From startups to globally-recognized brands, all businesses, regardless of size, can benefit from implementing digital asset management. An enterprise-wide deployment is an easy way to help departments break out of their silos. See how different enterprise players can utilize DAM:
- Marketers can accelerate brand growth and increase brand consistency across all their branded content. Create marketing materials with dynamic templates and easily distribute them to all your marketing offices around the world. They can repurpose your materials and modify them for their region’s language.
- Designers use DAM to optimize creative workflows. Being able to search and find files in seconds saves valuable time. Instead of searching for or recreating images, creatives can save time and resources by just repurposing assets.
- Sales teams can always have the most up-to-date materials they need—anywhere, anytime, from any device. DAM aligns sales with marketing to increase brand consistency. Everyone is happy with the resources they need.
- IT departments feel secure with cloud-based DAM and don’t have to worry about cumbersome installations or deployments. DAM eliminates the need to manage onsite FTP servers, third-party file sending solutions, or worry about file security.
- Agencies utilize DAM to provide a professional experience clients love. A branded web portal keeps creative files organized while matching your brand, ensuring a consistent look and feel when clients and users access it. Enable faster turnarounds to keep clients coming back for more.
- Distributors achieve success by always having the latest on-brand materials. Increase brand consistency and optimize the delivery process across your network.
What is SaaS DAM?
You can find the answer to what digital asset management is at the top of this page. Since you now know what DAM is, we’ll dive into the definition of DAM SaaS, also known as DAM Software-as-a-Service. The SaaS model describes software hosted by a vendor in the cloud and is delivered to users through an Internet browser, often as a subscription-based service. DAM SaaS is simply defined as digital asset management software hosted in the cloud. SaaS solutions are quick to deploy and easy to scale to match the growing needs of your business. With a SaaS platform, upgrades that include new features and enhancements are seamlessly rolled out to all customers, ensuring that companies always have the best. For SaaS, DAM support comes directly from the SaaS provider, instead of burdening your internal IT resources.
The opposite of DAM SaaS is locally-installed DAM software, known as on-premise software. On-premise DAM software is typically more difficult to deploy, support, scale and update because all responsibilities fall on your IT department. Unless your company prefers to pay overpriced fees for premium services, SaaS-based digital asset management is the best DAM choice.
Other important factors to consider are security, reliability and total costs. Today, top SaaS companies have paramount security and reliability advantages. They have also become more cost efficient with all important factors rolled into one package.
When do I need to invest in digital asset management?
Firstly, think about how your team currently manages its digital assets and workflows for collaboration, sharing, finding and distributing company assets.
- Is it resource-intensive to find your assets? If it takes more than a couple minutes to find and share your digital files, DAM software can help. With innovative tools for organizing and searching, your teams won’t have to spend valuable time hunting for files.
- Can your assets be accessed wherever and whenever you need them? Accessibility is crucial for productivity. If your team cannot get to the files or resources they need, recreating assets pushes back deadlines and raises issues from duplicate content to brand inconsistencies. DAM software ensures your teams always have the resources they need.
- Do bottlenecks occur during creative collaboration? Increase project communication and visibility. Get real-time alerts when files or new versions are uploaded; comments are added; or assets are approved in a DAM system.
- Does your current system provide enterprise-level security for storage, access and sharing? Important business assets need to be locked down in a stable and secure environment. Reputable DAM companies ensure the safety of all your digital assets with secure data centers and round-the-clock monitoring.
- What is the ROI from DAM? The main factors are listed above, but there are many other reasons why businesses invest in DAM.
How do I select the best digital asset management software?
When you’re looking to select the best digital asset management software for your business, you need to know the current challenges your company faces with regard to managing your digital assets. Discuss specific workflows that will solve these challenges with top digital asset management companies.
- Identify the key users and discuss all the required features and functionality they need and want
- Create a list of these important features to check off when you’re speaking with DAM providers
- Decide if cloud-based digital asset management or an installed on-premise solution is right for your company
- Consider important factors like security, cloud architecture, integrations, implementation process, professional services, customer experience and user adoption
- After seeing DAM software demos with the companies that made the cut, try it out with DAM trials and do a head to head comparison
- Select the best DAM software that your company will benefit from and that your users will easily be able to leverage
For more information on how to select a DAM, download the DAM Vendor Comparison Guide.