Definition: Content governance
What is content governance?
Content governance is managing and controlling content to ensure it's consistently high quality, on-brand, and aligned with an organization's goals and guidelines.
It's the set of guidelines that determines how an organization’s content gets created and published.
Why do organizations need content governance?
There are a few reasons why content governance is essential for all organizations that create content.
An effective content governance strategy can bring your business greater levels of consistency, efficiency, and quality regarding its content creation:
- Consistency: Having a central set of content production guidelines means that content remains consistent across teams and channels.
- Efficiency: Understanding the content lifecycle allows content teams to see opportunities to streamline.
- Quality: Writers have access to documents such as editorial guidelines and messaging frameworks.
Content governance can also help organizations resolve — or even avoid — potential issues arising in their content production process.
For example, it helps put the right protocols in place so that everyone understands:
- The best process for approving new content
- Which content should be based on a template
- How and when to review old content for relevance
- The correct metrics and KPIs for measuring success
- That editorial guidelines exist and should be followed
What makes up a content governance system?
Content governance systems can vary wildly; from very simple to extremely detailed. It's up to you and your organization to decide what's right for you based on your business goals and the resources you have available.
And there's no need to reinvent the wheel when you're developing a content governance system. There are countless templates, worksheets and documents that can be found simply by searching online. You should use what you find as you see fit; changing, reworking, and adapting for your organization.
The Forrester Wave™ Digital Asset Management for Customer Experience, Q1 2022
Understand the benefits of DAM, how to select a DAM provider, which DAM is right for your business, and get an overview of Bynder and other DAM platforms.
Improving the digital experience in 2022 [Survey] — Key findings
We've joined forces with Aberdeen Research and surveyed 650 marketers around the globe to understand how they manage digital and creative content. Read the highlights.