Definition: Digital asset management API
What is an API?
API is short for Application Programming Interface. To put it in general terms, it’s a set of definitions, functions, and protocols that enables two systems to communicate, access resources, push, and pull information—while maintaining security and control.
In the context of digital asset management (DAM), API is a programming interface that connects to a DAM system. Developers frequently make use of the API to create custom integrations with other business applications like content management systems (CMS) or graphic tools. Some of the functionalities that API allows you to unlock are:
- Automated searches on other platforms based on metadata
- Retrieving derivative presets, asset format, or size transformations
- Uploading assets from various sources
Developers can use different programming languages, that's why the best DAM vendors offer various Software Development Kits that support the most used languages—Learn more about our integrations and SDKs.
Discover the benefits of connecting your digital ecosystem with DAM. Read our simple guide: Integrations 101.
What are the benefits of a digital asset management API?
From pulling data into another system to complex integrations with proprietary software, a DAM API can be beneficial to:
- Rely on a single source of truth to pull all assets from.
- Minimize the impact on the customer when a vendor makes changes to the product.
- Leverage and distribute all company assets as needed—e.g., use images in the DAM to feed websites—with a publicly available API.
Bynder's API enables developers to build Bynder-powered applications based on a large set of functionalities—Check out Bynder’s technical API information.
The Forrester Wave™ Digital Asset Management for Customer Experience, Q1 2022
Understand the benefits of DAM, how to select a DAM provider, which DAM is right for your business, and get an overview of Bynder and other DAM platforms.Read more
When APIs speak
Learn how DAM helps automate the content lifecycle throughout systems and processes.Download via the chatbot