What is martech?
Martech AKA marketing technology is just what the name implies: technology solutions that can be used for a variety of marketing purposes, ranging from digital asset management and marketing automation platforms to chatbots and social media monitoring tools.
As marketing (and the world in general) becomes increasingly digital, the martech landscape has proliferated year-on-year, as illustrated no better than by the now-iconic Marketing Technology Landscape Supergraphic (Chiefmartec), which visualizes a total number of 8000 martech solutions as of 2020.
What aspects of marketing can martech tools help with?
Think of any marketing process or activity, and chances are there’s a complementary martech solution to support and/or automate it. However, martech solutions can be broadly categorized to reflect the different areas of marketing, as follows:
- Advertising & Promotion: Technologies that support advertising and PR activities.
- Content & Experience: Perhaps the most popular and wide-ranging category, these martech solutions primarily support content marketing and management activities, ranging from marketing automation, SEO, DAM, and optimization/testing
- Social & Relationships: Primarily focused on martech solutions that help build and nurture customer relationships in the digital space. Examples include customer relationship management, conversational/chatbot marketing, social media management, and customer advocacy tools
- Commerce & Sales: Covering martech tools that directly impact selling, this category of solutions help to better align marketing and sales activities. Examples include e-commerce platforms, sales automation/enablement, and affiliate marketing
- Data: You guessed it: martech solutions that focus on retrieving, managing, and visualizing data sets from marketing activities. Examples include data visualization, mobile/web/marketing analytics, business intelligence, and data integrations
- Management: This martech category doesn’t support a specific aspect of marketing per se, but is more focused on helping marketing teams to work and collaborate more efficiently. Examples include project management, talent management, budgeting/finance, and communications
Curious to see our predictions on the state of the martech landscape in 2030? Check out our article: Marketing & Martech in 2030: Past, present and future.
The Forrester Wave™ Digital Asset Management for Customer Experience, Q1 2022
Understand the benefits of DAM, how to select a DAM provider, which DAM is right for your business, and get an overview of Bynder and other DAM platforms.
Marketing & martech trends in 2030: Past, present, and future
Did the 2020 marketing and martech trends finally happen as predicted? Read more about this past decade's throwback and the 2030 forecast.